National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
University of Athens
Department of Biology
Enzyme and Microbial Biotechnology Unit
Full quality control of all raw materials through extensive chemical analysis
Quality control of every batch of all final products through the entire shelf-life
– Full microbiological analysis
– Determination of relevant biological activities (in vitro assays and in vivo models)
Production process optimization for all products
Full visibility of all results to the public
The History of the University
The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens is the largest state institution of higher learning in Greece, and among the largest universities in Europe. As all other Greek universities, it is a self-governed legal entity of public law and all major policy issues are determined by the Ministry of National Education and Religion. Retaining its academic autonomy, it fully respects the constitutionally secured right to everyone for a free education.
The University of Athens, inaugurated on 3rd May 1837, was first housed in a neoclassical residence, on the northeastern side of the Acropolis, renovated today and operating as the University Museum. Initially named “Othonian University” after Greece’s first King, Othon, it consisted of 4 academic units and 52 students. As it was the first university in the newly established modern Greek state, as well as in the Balkans and the Eastern Meditarranean region, its socio-historically significant role has been decisive for the production of particular knowledge and culture in the country.